In 1928 a ferry service began to and from the mainland. On June 25, 1928, the first Kinzie Ferry sailed from Punta Rassa to Sanibel. The trip typically took 45 minutes each way. It carried not only visitors but their horseless carriages which were often seen driving on the beaches. Henry Ford and Thomas Edison were frequent visitors to the island enjoying the fishing and shelling on the beautiful, tranquil shores. The old ferry landing is on the east end of the island between the lighthouse and the bridge.